Friday, October 21, 2005

We're all Chinese here...

I had a rather interesting experience at a bar Wednesday night with a guy who amused me to no end and shouldn't have. I met some girls in the restroom who were talking about a course they were taking at the University of Minnesota, dealing primarily with issues of race and white privilege. As we were leaving the restroom, we bumped into a tall, lanky guy who immediately joined our conversation. He asked for my background, and I told him I was Korean.

He proceeded to immediately forget this information - "Korean" registered in his mind as "Chinese" - and then told me that he had spent a lot of time in China and that he had shed all of his racist tendencies and would love to have an Asian girlfriend.

Me (stifling laughter): "Just for future reference, you might not want to say that around too many Asian women."
Guy: "Oh no, I know, but I really want to have an Asian girlfriend."
Me: ...

And later...

Guy: "...and I've been to China, and I know how the Chinese people think."
Me: "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!"
Guy: "But I have spent time in China, and I know how they think there."
Me: "Uh, there are like a billion people there, I'm not sure you can say that."
Guy (now clearly agitated): "But I've been there, and I know how they think!"
Me (again): ...

3 Comments:

At 4:32 AM, October 22, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

funny... do you know where there is an article from a scholarly journal that speaks about the hierarchy or interracial dating? i know you had a post earlier about it.. but was interested if there was actual data conducted on it etc.

 
At 1:54 PM, October 23, 2005, Blogger SouthernCanadian said...

My advice to you would be to search a database of sociology journals. You MIGHT find something in social psychology. Try "interracial dating" or "interracial marriage" as keywords.

Our post from earlier was not grounded in data. It was purely based on our collaborative observations.

 
At 8:31 PM, October 30, 2005, Blogger Alan Howard said...

I've dated a few Chinese women myself, and while I have a perception of how those women felt about things, I wouldn't even TRY to say I know how all Chinese women think. The guy was stupid, and hoping to be impressive. Laughing in his face a lot would have been the right answer. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home